NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER SOUP
Obviously, the title is inspired by my all time favorite TV show “Sex and the City”.
For me “Soup and the City” is an oxymoron, which always touch me whenever I visit a big city as New York, Kuala lumpur, Hanoi, Sydney, Shanghai …
Everybody is in the rush, living their busy lives and having no time to make themselves a warm meal they so desperately crave. It isn’t just about soup as such, but as having that time-out from everyday obligations, a moment just for yourself.
Probably that’s a reason that in each one of those cities I discovered it’s typical soup that I fell in love with. In New York I get easily addicted to fabulous NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER SOUP.
Whenever I’m visiting my dear friend Tea in NY, the very first day we always “hop on” The High Line, walk along it and “hop off” at Chelsea market.
The HL is beautiful walking promenade, park with wild plants and informal art space built on a historical dingy rail line.We always take a walk, enjoying in the vegetation and amazing view of the Hudson river and Mid town and after 3 km we are hungry enough to visit Chelsea Market.
CHELSEA MARKET is paradise for all of us food lovers, indoor market place, urban food court renewed for its wide range grocers, restaurants, food shops.
Step into this dimly lit spot with industrial architecture and relax atmosphere and prepare yourself to stay for awhile because so much yummy food to try out.
We usually go to the fish market where you can buy fresh fish, sushi, lobsters, fish’s pates, soups… choices are endless.
Then we grab some bar chairs in the soup corner and get large portions of NECSoup with oysters crackers. Together with other soup-loving crowd who comes down there for a rich and comforting soup, we enjoyed in its rich taste and smooth texture.
INGREDIENTDS:(for 4 persons)
- 2kg fresh cherry stone clams (brbavice)
- 5 thick slices bacon(diced)
- 3 tbs butter
- 2 big onions (sliced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1,5kg yellow potatoes(peeled and cubes)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cube vegetable stock(optionally)
- 2 tsp salt
- ground black pepper too taste
- Place the clams in a large sauce pan, cover it with water. Cook the clams until open.(around 10 minutes). Strain the clam liquid from the pot through a strainer and reserve. Take it out from shells. Half of them cut in 2 pieces.
- Place butter in large pan and heat it over medium high heat ’till melt. Add bacon and cook until crisp, add onions, bay leaves and cook 5 minutes.
- Than pour in 1/2 clam liquid and add potatoes. Cook it for next 10 minutes, than squash potatoes with the fork.
- Finally add clams, heavy cream, vegetable stock(optionally).
- Cook it for next 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to blend flavors.
- Season with salt and pepper.
ENJOY YOUR MEAL :))