- dominate specific juicy salty taste
- low of calories
- one of the healthiest fish, provides as with natural source of marine Omega 3, Omega 6 vitamin D B…
- in spite of this very cheap fish
- saur ( marinated)
- home made bread and olive oil = winning match
- an onion and a tomato in VISKA/KOMISKA POGACA
- wild asparagus
- arugula, garlic as a bruschetta
- a polenta
- a pasta..
- always with a glass of red wine, Teran
WHEN fished on nights from April to October – fresh in the morning in Dalmatian fish markets
Marinating fish is one of the oldest preserving methods because the concentration of the salt and the vinegar may prevent development of harmful microorganisms for longer periods of time.
In the past fish was marinated in three ways on the Croatian coast. I do not want to annoy you with all this stuff.
My favorite recipe I get from nice old lady, my neighbor ” teta Marica” (in Croatia we call old ladies – teta = auntie ). She was born long ago on island Vis, so all her recipes are tried a hundreds of time.
SARDINE U SAVURU
(marinated sardines on Dalmatian way)
It is easy to prepare, very tasty, you can accompaniment with different “stuff,”(food) and you can keep it in refrigerate for a week.
- 1 kg sardines
- 1/4 cup of flour for baking a sardines
- 1 dl olive oil
- 1 dl white vinegar
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion, sliced
- chopped parsley
- 1-2 tbs sugar (depend of you)
- 1 tsp of rosemary
- Clean the sardines under the thin stream of cold water from tail to head.
- Forefinger pull out the innards from head to tail, remove head as well.Finally wash it and dry it carefully.
- Sprinkle the sardines with a bit of flour and fry it in olive oil in deep pan.
- Or you can fry it on grill pan(much healthier).
- Than put fried sardines in glass dish.
- Put minced garlic, sliced onion, chopped parsley, rosemary, vinegar into the olive oil and cook it a bit until the garlic is yellowish.
- Add 1dl water, salt, paper and boiling it altogether for few minutes. At the very end put a sugar in mixture.
A marinade is ready.
- Pour a marinade over sardines, and cover a glass dish.Leave it for few hours ( the best is over night until all ingredients permeate each other) before serving.
Serve it with fresh salad, rye bread and glass of wine or make bruschetta with arugula and tomato.