I tried several variations of risotto with pumpkin, but this combination with gorgonzola is my favorite. The recipe originates from Italy, but I changed a bit through time and added to it my personal touch.In this yummy risotto rice is laced with pumpkin and gorgonzola.
What I love about this recipe is contrast in the balance: butternut pumpkin has sweet, nutty taste and mature gorgonzola’s “sharp”, salty and pungent flavor ( added in just right amount ).
Also combination of colors are simply heavenly: intensive and shine orange pulp of pumpkin mixed up with blue veined gorgonzola.
INGREDIENTS: ( for 4 persons)
- 1kg Butternut pumpkin
- 300g rice, type Carnaroli
- 150g gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1 big onion
- 3 clove of garlic
- vegetable stock ( or you can easily do it by yourself, you need 1carrot, 1 onion, 1 parsley leaf and root, celery root, small potato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 -2 tbsp butter ( butter with parsley and garlic bean better)
- Put the olive oil and the butter in a large saucepan and heat it at medium heat, add sliced onion and garlic and stir until onion is soft and glazed.
- Than add in cubes of pumpkin (1.5cm) fry it for a few minutes stirring occasionally.
- After that add rice inside and stir until all rice is covered with mixture ( there should be not dry grains of rice).
- Stir it all the time while slowly adding vegetable stock.
- Cook the risotto slowly, until liquid evaporates – it must be creamy, but rice should be firm inside. Because of that you have to stir continually and check the rice every now and then.
- Finally add crumbled gorgonzola. Again stir gently.
How to prepare vegetable stock?
- Heat the oil in deep pan, add sliced onion and stir it until golden, than add( sliced )the rest of ingredients and 1l water.
- Boil for 5 minutes, than cook on very low fire for 45 minutes-1 hour.
- Drain it and take away vegetable, liquid that remained is vegetable stock.
Very easy, isn’t it?