RHCR is sensational fusion of Asian red rice and Dalmatian salted anchovies.It is quite often on my table as main meal or as a side dish with jack fruit curry ( or any other vegetarian curry ).
When you add chili peppers and white vine you turn this simple meal into a special treat for family.Make it with Bhutanese red rice and you’ll have healthy meal packed with flavors.
Marinating sardines and small blue fish is traditional and one of the oldest way of preserving fish.In 14th century marinated fish was being imported from Dalmatia to Venice, in 15th century Dalmatia was supplying even cardinals in Rome, in 16th century the regular shipping line was established for exporting salted sardines to Ancona, Italy.
In Dalmatia almost every family were marinating small fish in their KONOBA ( part of the house, small room usually in the cellar where people prepare food for the winter time and where they store olive oil, wine, dried fruit , dried vegetables, marinated fish…)
In the past time salted small blue fish were ” food for poor people” but now days they are served as speciality for appetizer in the restaurants.
( for 4 people)
- 250-300g red rice
- fish stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 10 salted anchovies ( or sardines or both)
- 2-3 tsp chili pepper
- 1 glass of dry white wine
- few leaves of basil and rosemary
- spoon of parmesan
- Red rice should be cooked before in fish stock for cca 30 min .
- In meantime heat the live oil in a large pot/ wok with sliced onions, garlic and anchovies until onion is soft.Than add half of wine, tomato puree and cook a sauce 20 min on low fire, covered.
- Put (almost) cooked rice in sauce, stir it altogether gently, add rest of the wine cook it for next 10-15min on very low fire until reached optimal consistence – dense but still tick, not overcooked rice.
Stir it all the time.
- Finely put inside the basil, rosemary, pepper, salt ( be careful with this one because anchovies are already salted ), parmesan and chili pepper and stir it one more time carefully. RHCR as side dish with jack fruit curry.