Probably, the reason is short season that lasts just few weeks. Salesman know that wild asparagus are super healthy and extremely tasty, so who could resist them?
Asparagus go hand in hand with scrambled eggs, with mild soft cheeses ( skuta the best), as well with the see food (shrimps). they are very popular with vegetarians in various types of salads, used to give them a sharp, bitter edge.
Asparagus were well known in old China for medical purposes, also in France in 15th century as diuretic and aphrodisiac.
PREPARATION OF WILD ASPARAGUS:
- Cut the bunch of asparagus with knife, or even better break them on pieces 2-3 cm long with fingers.
- Cook them in boiling salted water, just 5-10 minutes. Check them all the time and do not allow them to be overcooked and too soft or they may lose their specific taste.
- Once asparagus are cooked sprinkle them generously with olive oil.
SERVING SUGGESTION: with Skuta tart or if you are in rush, just with baked Skuta.
SKUTA is Croatian mild cheese, very similar to Italian ricotta. It is made from cow or sheep milk. The best Skuta comes from island Pag. It is windy island with little vegetation. In the winter time strong, cool, dry wind Bura brings salt from the sea to land and give the special features to aromatic herbs. Because of this fact, sheets are smaller than average and give less milk. Finally cheese has crystallinity in the texture with gentle sweetness.
SKUTA TART: ( for 4-5 persons )
- 500g Skuta ( or ricotta )
- 2 egg whites
- 2tbsp cut shallot
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- springform cake pan, diameter 20cm
- Whisk egg whites into a thick foam.
- Than put inside Skuta, 1tbsp shallot, salt, pepper, mix it a bit altogether.
- Put baking paper into springform and spread mixture over it.
- Sprinkle it with mixture of olive oil and shallot.
- Bake it in preheated oven on 180′ C, 30 minutes.
While it is still warm, open a springform, take away and serve it with cooked asparagus. Combination of bitter, sharp asparagus and mild sweet Skuta tart is simply heavenly. White vine recommended.
BAKED SKUTA: ( if you are in rush)
Just spread mixture of olive oil and shallot on Skuta. Bake it in preheated oven on 200′ C for few minutes until Skuta became golden brownish on the top surface. Combine it with still warm asparagus and serve immediately.