DELICIOUS SMALL BITES – ideal for parties
BAKED POLENTA WITH BLACK AND GREEN OLIVES
Very simple to do and your effort is inversely proportional to the taste and visual effect of these tapas. You don’t even need a lot of ingredients – creativity is the key in this one!
Let’s do it!
- 1 cup Maize grits (instant polenta)
- 3 cup water (the ratio of polenta and water should always be 1:3, and amount depends of dimension of baking pan in which you’ll spread cooked polenta)
- 1tsp olive oil (you can use olive oil with chilly taste or garlic taste as well)
- 1/2 cup green olives ( sliced on half )
- 1/2 black olives (olives can be plain or filled with red pepper, garlic or even better – almond)
- 1/2 chive (cut)
Prepare rectangular baking pan (22cm x 32cm for this amount of polenta), oiled or covered with baking paper
1. Put water, salt and 1tsp of olive oil in big metal bowl and boil it.
2. Pour instant maize grits gradually into boiling water, stir it for 2 min and than quickly add olives (or chive ) and stir it again for a minute.
3. Put the polenta into rectangular baking pan, the thickness should be approx. 1cm. Leave it aside until is completely cool and then put into the fridge for few hours.
4. Afterwards you can either cut it in pieces 5cmx5cm as a base for tapas or put it into the oven on grill 5-10min, then leave it to cool down and cut it into pieces.
5. Finally you have tasteful base, instead of bread.
If your polenta is with olives just add some of these: marinated sardines, anchovies, shrimps, cherry tomatoes, sliced onion, peppers (red, green, yellow) or dried tomatoes in oil with prosciutto.
You can do the same with chive instead of olives and just put the onion marmalade on top of it (my favorite combo).
You can easily do onion marmalade by yourself and keep it in your fridge for weeks. Have a look in C.C.RECIPES, BACK TO BASIC.