It’s a delicious, yummy Korean meal my friend Lim from Seuol made in Split for birthday of my son Toma.
Let’s start from beginning.
On our travel to East Turkey visiting Mardin, Mesopotamia, we stuck for few days in Sanliurfa, ancient town, known as the City of Abraham.
I loved exploring a veritable maze of narrow lanes and dead ends.Usually dead ends ending in Caravanserai, hidden behind some anonymous wall.
Todays chic yard of caravanserai ’s atmosphere provide jarring contrast of the rest of old city. Sipping tea and watching the passers: local people and other foreigners. Perfect point to exchange travel experiences with other travelers and eventually arrange together trip to some of the historic sights as Haran, Mardin, Mount Nemrut. Caravanserai is a place where women wont’t feel too uncomfortable if she is alone.
Here I met my friend Lim. You just know when someone’s got it: that certain something – charisma, like Lim.
Spontaneously we started conversation and next day all of us ( Lim, my husband and me) went to Mount Nemrut.
We started early, early in the morning, 5am and atmosphere in car was so-so , only Muhamed, the driver were singing all the time. He “spiced up “the atmosphere and in the end of the day we were all like old friends.
Lim was on her traveling around the world, alone. She resigned her previous career to take some time off, travel and decide who she wants to be when “she grow up” back home to Seoul.
As she was avid traveler who likes exploring new places, understanding different cultures, few months after Turkey Lim came to Split.
Lim spent a week in my home, cooking together with me and hang out with my kids.
Lim had cool stories of amazing places she visited and it was an absolutely pleasure to have her in my home in Split.
- 1/2kg thinly sliced beef (sirloin or rib eye)
- 1-2 thinly sliced carrots
- 2 stalks scallion (cut into 1cm length)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
The combination of ingredients in the marinade gives the beef a distinctly Korean flavor.
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 pear grated
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 cm ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Clean the meat and trim of any excess fat. Freezing the meat for 1 hour helps with cutting clean, thinly slices.
- Now prepare a marinade: in a bowl combine soy sauce,sesame oil, honey, pear…Beat with a fork to mix the ingredients together evenly
- Than place the meat into a bowl for marinating. Cover and keep in refrigerator for few hours or over night.
5. Finally add the beef and carrots, scallions. Increase the heat and stir-fry for about 5 minutes until the meat is just cooked, starting to turn brown.The meat must be crispy on the edges.
6. Once it is ready, transfer to plate and garnish with fresh scallion.
SERVE it with mushrooms, lettuce, spinach or any other leafy vegetable and the sticky rice.
Slices of beef are soft, hot yet sweet with crispy edges.This yummy meal will appeal to adults and children alike, although younger eaters might prefer a less black pepper.